Responsible Care® Signatories
Membership of CAIA is open to chemical manufacturers, distributors, traders, spill responders, drum reconditioners, service providers, waste managers, testing laboratories and consultants. Hauliers already accredited by the South African Safety and Quality Assessment System (SA SQAS) are also welcome to join the association.
Companies must be members of CAIA in order to become Responsible Care® signatories. The practical implementation of Responsible Care® starts with a public signing ceremony where the Chief Executive Officer of the company makes a commitment to the guiding principles of Responsible Care®.
Responsible Care® is designed to have a measurable impact on safety, health and environmental performance, and the programme therefore binds members to implement a rigorous system that includes:
- 01Signing a voluntary Responsible Care® Public Commitment at the highest level of the company;
- 02Implementing world-class management practise standards on an incremental basis;
- 03Regular auditing of compliance with Responsible Care® Management practise standards, allowing for continuous progress;
- 04Third-party verification of systems to ensure full transparency and accountability;
- 05Measuring, monitoringand publicly reporting on performance indicators to benchmark the industry against global standards.
Become a Responsible Care® Signatory
Responsible Care® is implemented by CAIA in South Africa through a comprehensive programme of guidance documents, advisory forums and reporting requirements. Members are supported at every stage of the process by a knowledgeable, proactive and hands-on secretariat based at the CAIA office and dedicated to advancing Responsible Care® in South Africa.
Practical implementation of Responsible Care® at site level takes place with the guidance of Management Practice Standards (MPS) documents, which cover all the key operational areas, including:
Assessment of compliance with Responsible Care® procedures and progress in implementation is a thorough, ongoing process that takes place at several levels and includes: