On World Oceans Day, people internationally celebrate and honour our oceans.
A healthy world ocean is critical to our survival. World Oceans Day provides an opportunity to help protect and conserve the oceans that connect our continents.
Why are our oceans important?
Oceans are important because they:
- Generate most of the oxygen we breathe
- Help feed us
- Regulate our climate
- Clean the water we drink
- Contribute to many medicines
It’s up to each one of us to help ensure that our ocean is healthy for future generations. During World Oceans Day we can help:
- Change perspective – encourage individuals to think about what the ocean means to them and what it has to offer all of us with hopes of conserving it for present and the future generations.
- Learn – discover the wealth of diverse and beautiful ocean creatures and habitats, how our daily actions affect them, and how we are all interconnected.
- Change our ways – we are all linked to, and through, the ocean! By taking care of your backyard and helping in your community, you are acting as a caretaker of our ocean. Making small modifications to your everyday habits will make a difference, and involving your family, friends, and community will benefit our blue planet even more!
- Celebrate – whether you live inland or on the coast, we are all connected to the ocean. Take the time to think about how the ocean affects you, and how you affect the ocean, and then organize or participate in activities that celebrate our ocean.