Chemical and Allied Industries’ Association hosts expert dialogue on process safety
The Chemical and Allied Industries’ Association’s (CAIA) Responsible Care® Process Safety Expert Dialogue presents the association with an exciting new direction towards the promotion of process safety in the chemical industry.
CAIA’s commitment is to recognise that a robust process safety performance is key to protecting people and the environment and that a spirit of cooperation amongst its members is crucial in realising process safety excellence within the chemical and allied industries sector.
The Responsible Care® Process Safety Expert Dialogue will serve as a platform to bring together key stakeholders – industry, academia and government departments – to lead the way in improving industrial process safety and achieving process safety excellence in South Africa and beyond its borders.
This event, where local, regional and international stakeholders related to process safety will discuss, learn and understand new technologies, ideas and trends in maintaining process safety within the chemical and allied industry, will take place on 12 and 14 September 2017 in Johannesburg and Durban, respectively.
CAIA is honoured to have as keynote speaker Mr John Bresland, president of Process Safety Risk Assessment, Shepherdstown, West Virginia, a process safety consulting company focusing on the chemical and energy sectors.
In 2002 Bresland was nominated by U.S. President George W. Bush and confirmed by the U.S. Senate to serve a five-year term as a board member of the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board (CSB), and in July 2007, President Bush nominated him for an additional five-year term as Chairman of the CSB. He served as chairman from March 2008 until June 2010.
Since leaving the CSB in August 2012, he has consulted with oil refineries and chemical plants worldwide on process safety issues.
CAIA advocates assuring safety through three key principles: Working Together, Encouraging Excellence and Sharing and Learning; principles already entrenched in CAIA’s network of initiatives, committees and fora.
The Expert Dialogue will focus on:
- Best practices and strategies on how to avoid incidents caused by human error (human factors).
- Implementing effective management of change (MoC) strategies.
- The importance of assessments and analysis in achieving process safety excellence.
- Significance of leadership and communication in risk reduction.
- The importance of process safety leadership i.e. the necessity for senior management support of a strong process safety programme.
- Hiring and training the best operations and maintenance staff.
- Best qualifications for new process operators.
- Knowing your local community and its leaders.
- The CSB – lessons learned.
- The future of the CSB.
- New challenges for the chemical industry.
The Responsible Care® Process Safety Expert Dialogue is designed for directors, senior management, superintendents, supervisors, specialists, engineers, team leaders, and managers of:
- Process safety/process safety management (PSM)
- Process engineering
- Safety, health and environment (SHE)
- Plant management and operations
- Technical services
- Hazard and operability (HAZOP)
- Inspections, maintenance and reliability
- Site leadership
- Asset & mechanical integrity
- Loss prevention
- Instrumentation and control
- Emergency response
Date: 12 September 2017
Time: Registration starts at 08h00
Venue: The Country Club, Johannesburg
1 Napier Road, Auckland Park,
Tel: +27 11 710 6400
Date: 14 September 2017
Time: Registration starts at 08h00
Venue: Durban Country Club
101 Isaiah Ntshangase Road,
Stamford Hill, Durban.
Tel: +27 31 313 1777
Members of the media are cordially invited to attend the CAIA Responsible Care® Process Safety Expert Dialogue.
For further information or to set up an interview, please contact
Deidré Penfold at 083 419 3281.